25th June 2020
Categorised in Quick Food
It always amazes us what is possible when your food cupboard offers limited possibilities. Here’s a ‘go-to’ family favourite from one of our carers. We think that even Ainsley Harriott would be proud of this Ready Steady Cook style dish…
Time can be a bit of a challenge when you are a carer. Most of us become masters of managing it but we all have those days when unplanned events interfere with planned essentials (like doing the food shop). During lockdown, many of us are also experiencing the joy of our online delivery arriving with (often hilarious) substitutes.
Here’s one recipe that came to life thanks to such an experience. All you need is a tin of tomato soup (rather than a tin of tomatoes), some cheese, mustard powder (or mustard), pasta (of your chosen colour and shape), and around 15 minutes to spare.
It is a recipe that can be added to. Try adding diced onions to the pasta when boiling, then layering the pasta, and sauce with sliced fresh tomatoes, adding grated cheese to the top and baking for a further ten minutes.
Do you have any family favourites created out of necessity? If so, do get in touch, we’d love to share them here!
Total time and servings
- Prepation Time: 5 mins
- Cooking Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4
- 1 tin tomato soup
- 250g pasta (macaroni, shells, twists, whatever’s available)
- 275g grated cheese (extra mature cheddar is recommended)
- 1 tsp mustard powder (or mustard)
- To taste salt and pepper
- Boil kettle.
- Place pasta in saucepan and more than cover with boiled water from kettle. Add a pinch od salt. Bring to the boil, then simmer for ten minutes (or according to instructions on the packet).
- Whilst the pasta is bubbling away, empty the soup into another saucepan, add the grated cheese and mustard powder (or mustard if you do not have mustard powder). Keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Turn off the heat.
- When the pasta is ready, drain using a colander, then add back to the saucepan. Stir in the cheesy sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve.